It’s important to have standards since it is used as a basis for judgment – what’s good or right and what’s wrong or bad. ’Standard’ is a term that has a positive meaning and can be associated with other words such as ‘principle’, ‘rule’, and ‘ideal’. However, in the field of dating, when do these standards get in the way of a possible partnership? Are your dating standards too much?
With regards to the type of individuals we wish to date and have a romantic relationship with, there are particular qualities that we search for. Standards are utilized as the basis of judgment. But with regards to the qualifications of people we wish to date and perhaps have a romantic relationship with, this is called dating standards. Please find below several examples showing these types of dating standards:
1. Date a person who is financially dependable.
2. I will just date someone who is not selfish.
3. Just going out with someone if he/she has a personality that’s compatible with mine.
4. I will only date someone who is mentally mature.
We would only discuss these four as this list could go on and on.
Even though the 4 standards mentioned above aren’t too high, they could be entirely different if you interpret them this way:
1. Go out with a person who makes six figures at the very least.
2. Go out with an individual who always puts me first.
3. Date an individual if we have compatible personalities according to my checklist.
4. Go out with a person who is mature mentally and totally understands me.
Although we are sometimes unaware that we interpret them this way, it makes the aforementioned dating standards somewhat too much.
What to do
If you’ve found yourself thinking about the dating standards you have, please, do a truthful analysis. You must be reasonable and honest with regards to your dating standards. If you do that then you won’t have unreasonable dating standards. The possibilities of you finding a partner who will do the same for you would increase as you get a better perspective of things.
Do not forget that whatever your dating standards are, they must not be too much. Also remember that your dating standards must measure up to you so do a fair and honest evaluation of yourself. There is truly nothing wrong with having standards. Just bear in mind not to make them too high…nor too low for that matter.